Integration of ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) can turn out to be beneficial for your business. What needs to be kept in mind is that ERP implementation never ends up being a one-size-fits all solution. With business needs changing and varying among different organization, the solution with respect to ERP implementation too tends to varies. What needs to be kept in mind in this respect is that ERP software implementation is all about making business process easier and wrong software implementation can put you under a lot of stress.
Before you begin understanding the steps that can bring upon a huge difference to your business process, you need find out how ERP helps your business. What makes companies pursue ERP implementation? The reason is simple; companies look forward to the implementation solely because it offers multiple benefits. From improved efficiency, higher productivity, to enhanced flexibility, the software benefits an organization through multiple ways. To make the most of these benefits, organizations should make an effort to ensure successful implementation of the same. When successful implementation is concerned, you ideally cannot give a miss to careful planning. Like every other project, planning for ERP too paves the road to successful implementation.
Since your ERP setup focuses on underpinning your business or the entire operations, a successful implementation stands critical to ensure continuous profitability and should always end up being a top priority. How you choose the right ERP system and the vendor stands critical for businesses all across the world. Additionally, what stands important is how can you ensure making the most from the investment. To help you make the right decisions and give your project the kind of attention or care it deserves, you should ensure following a step-by-step guide to choosing and implementing your ERP.
Here is a look at 6 easy steps that can help you make the right choice and pave the road to successful implementation without any worry.
- Put Your Best People Together and Form a Team – This is very much essential to ensure successful implementation of ERP. From the executive sponsor, project leader, to the business process owners, you should focus on putting your best team forward. The catch lies in accommodating the best people in your business. After all, the best people would definitely have a clearer view on your existing business approaches and processes, which would further help you to take a better stand towards ERP implementation.
- Find out the Business Process that you Need to Improve – This is another key area where you need to work upon. Be sure your know what the ERP system needs to do for your business. To begin with, you should list your priorities first. To be sure about making the perfect list, you must involve your sales and marketing team along with the IT people. The catch is to involve anybody and everybody who will be using the system. You cannot deny the fact that each user group within your business organization will expect different kinds of things from the system. You can only ensure a successful installation when your ERP system ensures covering a wide range of needs
- Determine the Existing Cost of your Business – This is another big thing that you need to consider as ERP implementation would come with its own costs. From the servers, support, upgrades, whether be it minor or major, downtime, disaster recovery, security, insurance, rent, to utilities, you need to focus on it all. You cannot harp over ensuring a successful installation, if it crosses your budget. The secret to success rests with identifying a solution that would bets work for business. Now, whether you would like to have a custom-made solution for your business, Alternatively, you can also opt for flexible solutions that can be adapted according to your needs as and when required.
- Document the Strategy of your Business Approach and Make Rational Decision – When implementation of ERP software comes is the main concern, you should consider taking rational decision. The idea is to begin with the documentation of your business approach. From employee empowerment to cost reduction benefit, you need to consider it all. Additionally, you also need to find out what kind of implementation would best work for your business. Whether you can manage with an on-premise solution or you need to opt for cloud based solution or just go with the hybrid approach is another big decision that you need to make.
- Develop the List of Prospective Vendors and Make a Wise Choice – This is another important step that you need to undertake to ensure a successful installation. The catch lies in involving a three-step process ensuring quality selection. Begin with interviews followed closely by a demo presentation and a prospective choice. Make sure that the vendor of your choice caters to all your needs and can answer or respond to your needs promptly. Before making the final choice, ensure conducting a good reference check. Additionally, be aware of the solution that is offered by your chosen service provider. Learning the nitty-gritty well can help you make an informed and smart choice.
- Implement the New System and Optimize the Process Well – This is the final, but the most important step. After you are done with the research and is confident about taking the step forward, you should consider implementing the new system. To ensure a successful installation, you should take every effort to train your employees into the process, understand the need for design, and also keep the plans updated. You should also keep in mind that implementing the new system is not the end of ERP implementation, you should take steps towards optimizing the process well. The secret to success rests with reviewing the system well to make sure that it is performing well and also make sure that the the system is returning value to the users.
Ensuring successful installation is very much important alongside being sure about the software you choose. The catch lies in going through the entire research process; you can ensure maximum worth only when the vendor is chosen right. Always work with someone who can complete the project within scheduled budget and time.